Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas to All!!

This is the third year running that we haven't sent out Christmas cards. And this year we've given a bare minimum of gifts and goodies. Yes, we do have a newborn, which is a fantastic excuse - but the truth is, if I'd put in a bit of effort I could've easily bought, wrapped, written, and mailed a slew of festive treats and merry wishes before the birth. But I assumed I'd be so overwhelmed with the demands of a newborn by the end of November (if only!) that I didn't even plan on doing much for Christmas. Which has resulted in a refreshingly stress-free holiday. I've just been sitting back and enjoying the season - something I've missed out on for the past decade or so because I've been too busy running around trying to get through all my to-do lists. This year, for the first time in a long, long while, I've enjoyed the Christmas activities I've felt like doing, and I've thrown everything else to the wind. I've watched a ton of classic Christmas specials, baked and decorated sugar cookies with Elliot - just on a whim and not in a frantic rush because I had to do it for some event, and really enjoyed all the cards everyone else was organized enough to send.

This year has been so great that I just might be tempted to do it again next year, even without the excuse of a newborn. The truth is, Christmas has become for me one huge stressfest. Every year as soon as Thanksgiving hits, I grit my teeth and long for December 26. But this year I've actually had some space to enjoy Christmas and not just endure it. It's been nice.

So I can't promise you that next year you'll get a nice present or even a card (although hopefully we'll manage at least that...). But we do treasure our family and friends. Your love and friendship keep us going, and we hope you know how much we love you.

May you be enjoying the season as well. We wish for you more than anything else that you know how marvelous it is that Christ was born. Hallelujah! And Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments :