Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Where'd everyone go?

After over two months of having our family around, it certainly seems quiet around here all of a sudden. My brother's family came out for a visit the last week of October, which consisted of us all having marvelous fun and then ended with a thud as I was rushed to the hospital with preterm labor (no connection between their visit and my going to the hospital - I don't think! ;). Actually, it was a Godsend that they were here, as they were enormously helpful taking care of Elliot - and me! - during this ordeal.

The following week I wound up at the hospital again for a second helping of preterm labor fun, and my mother heroically left everything to fly out and take care of us all for a week while I recovered.

Three weeks later both my parents flew out to greet Sophie, who hadn't yet bothered to make her grand entrance. We'd gone from thinking we'd have her 4 weeks early to waiting an agonizing 10 days after the due date for the big event. FINALLY, she was here, and my parents had nearly 5 days to dote on her before they had to fly back to Kansas.

And then Rob's parents arrived Christmas week, and we all had a wonderful time together celebrating, eating, cooing at Sophie, and watching the Polar Express with Elliot for the umpteenth time. We were all spoiled with the carload of gifts and food they brought and the many meals they made for us.

And now it's just us again. Seems very quiet. We are so blessed with the love of our families. It's amazing and humbling to receive so much generosity of time and spirit as everyone has nurtured us through this pregnancy and birth. Countless meals have been cooked for us, our house cleaned, our laundry washed, our children showered with love and attention.

We are so grateful. I hope that when I have the opportunity to help someone else, I will be as loving and caring and useful as so many people have been to us. Thank you all, and we miss you!!

No comments :