Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

the things kids do

Last Sunday after church we went to a pizza place for lunch. In the parking lot was a whole flock of seagulls. Rob, in an effort to entertain Elliot, said, "Look at all those big-bottomed birds!" Elliot of course found this hilarious and repeated "big-bottomed birds!" over and over.
A while later, while we were munching our pizza, Elliot pointed across the room, directly at our waitress, and yelled, "Look! There's a big-bottomed bird!" We were so embarrassed and told him to be quiet, which of course made him yell it even louder again and again. We finally realized he was pointing to a picture of a bird that was on the wall behind the waitress. The poor girl. She was a pretty teenager who did not have a big bottom at all, and I hope our son has not given her a complex!

In other disturbing kid news, yesterday I observed Sophie moving her little Winnie the Pooh table over to the bookshelf and attempt to climb on top of the table to reach a higher shelf. She's 12 months old! Is this normal?? Elliot did this, but surely he wasn't younger than 2!
Unfortunately, her propensity for climbing has developed rapidly, as she displayed in spectacular fashion last night. At 3:00am, I was awoken by Sophie's crying, but it wasn't coming from the baby monitor. I realized with horror that it was coming from outside our bedroom door. I ran out and picked her up, and she immediately stopped crying. I examined her and couldn't find a mark on her. I hadn't heard a thump or anything to indicate a fall from her crib. What did the girl do, fly out of it? She fell right back to sleep, and I spent the rest of the night praying she wouldn't die from internal injuries. Ugh, the toddler stage - I wasn't ready for this!!

2 comments :

Chandelle said...

Unbelievable with Sophie! It came all too quickly. You are in trouble now, I fear. Can you lower her mattress any?

Clay said...

No way! That's amazing that Sophie got out of her crib already. I keep waiting for that moment with Avery, but it apparently hasn't crossed her mind yet...(maybe that's the curse of Sophie having a big brother...)