Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

the cloisters

IMAG0186

We love our local library. Last year we went to the Bronx Zoo with a free library pass; this year they have passes to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Woohoo!

IMAG0178

I was excited to discover that the pass also covers The Cloisters, a branch of the Met devoted to medieval European art. It’s just past the George Washington Bridge, so we didn’t have to drive all the way into the heart of Manhattan. Also, parking is free. And also, it’s medieval European art! It’s a win win win!

IMAG0179

On the other hand, this is not an especially child friendly museum. There were lots of valuable, fragile, old things, and not a crayon in sight. This outing was more of a Rob-and-I-are-starved-for-culture kind of outing than a kid-centric outing. But that’s good for their character, right?

IMAG0180

I was aching for more time to linger and read all the notes.

IMAG0183

This place was good for our souls. So beautiful and peaceful.

IMAG0185

We really could’ve been in Europe.

IMAG0189

We may, possibly, have gotten in trouble because the kids were climbing on 900-year-old columns. ahem

IMAG0188

As we were going through one room a female guard called out to me. I braced myself for a scolding about our wayward children. “Hey!” she shouted. “I love your daughter’s dress. Where did you get it?”

:-)

2 comments :

Chandelle said...

Oh my goodness - you are really killing me! Can I come too?

Anne said...

That looks beautiful! You're a brave set of parents.