Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

All is quiet

I started out with the best of intentions. At the beginning of my pregnancy I started telling myself my due date was two weeks later than I was told it was, to avoid the agony of waiting at the end. But somehow that plan got derailed and I started believing I was definitely going to be early. Which has made this last week or two absolute torture. My calendar is clear, I'm keeping my house perfectly clean at all times ... I am READY. And I haven't even hit the due date yet (it's tomorrow).

The plus side is that things have been very low key around here, allowing for lots of good family time. We've been watching a lot of movies, all cuddled up in front of the fire. And drinking lots of hot chocolate. Rob even brought me roses. And we've been going out as much as we can, too, considering we probably won't get out much in the coming weeks and months.

It's like the calm before the storm. There's a certain apprehension in the air. We're trying to remember what it was like to have a newborn. I remember it being absolute bliss, snuggling with an adorable, real-life miracle. But people keep reminding us that there's an element of sleeplessness to the whole baby thing. And possibly some crying and an abundance of smelly diapers. And now of course we have another little one to look after as well. How will he react? Will he be sweet and loving, or will he turn into a little terror, begging for attention? More than a few people have warned us that having two doesn't just double the workload - it quadruples it. So we're a little scared.
But all the same, I'd sure love for this little babe to arrive sooner rather than later. Maybe tonight??

No comments :