A successful day around here is one in which both kids take a nap simultaneously. This endeavor is not for the fainthearted. It takes careful planning, dedication, and acute skill in execution.
The key is to start the game plan before lunch. I get everything ready to put on the table, then change Sophie's diaper and wrap her in her blanket. Then everything goes on the table, I get Elliot sitting and eating, and I grab Sophie and nurse her while I eat. That way she's full, happy, and asleep by the time lunch is over, and all I have to do is put her in her bassinette. Child 1 down, time for child 2.
This is where it gets tricky, for although child 2 definitely still needs a nap, he does not always recognize this need and would rather do cartwheels on the bed all afternoon.
We do lots of talking through lunchtime to avoid this scenario, and many times it works and he falls straight to sleep. But a significant amount of time it does not. Usually this occurs on the days when I'm exhausted and desperately need a nap myself. As was the case today.
Elliot sleeps on our bed for his naps, so today I'm lying there with him and he's trying to lie still. Really he is. But he just can't contain himself. First it's his feet that start tapping, then he's wiggling, then he's poking me in the eye, and pretty soon he's doing somersaults.
A "waaaa!!" emits from the bassinette. He leaps up and runs over. I roll over and put Sophie's pacifier back in her mouth, rub her tummy, and her eyes close.
Elliot runs back and jumps in bed. "Elliot, just lie still and close your eyes, and you'll fall asleep." Two seconds later, the feet tapping begins, then wiggling, poking, and somersaults. Then "waaaa!!" I put the paci back in, rub her tummy, and she falls back asleep. "Elliot, lie still and close your eyes, and you'll fall asleep."
We repeat this five more times.
Finally Elliot says, "I wanna go play in my woom."
I say, "Okay, but play quietly and only come back in here when you're ready to fall asleep."
"Okay, Mommy." And he scurries out.
It's 1:57. We've been at this for an hour. I close my eyes and fall blissfully asleep. I'm having a happy dream. I'm at the seaside on a sunny summer afternoon.
"Mommy, wake up. Mommy, I have poopies."
It's 2:08.
We go to the bathroom, clean him up, and he insists on brushing his teeth and playing in the sink. "Elliot, I'm going to sleep. Do you want to play in your room or take a nap?"
"Play in my woom." And he scurries off.
I climb back in bed at 2:15.
2:20. I hear feet shuffling in. "I wanna take a nap."
2:22, his eyes close. My eyes close.
2:22 and 10 seconds. A loud, wet rumble emanates from the bassinette. I quickly jump out of bed and carry a smelly baby out of the room to avoid waking up the delicately sleeping older brother.
2:28, place baby beside me to help her get back to sleep.
2:30, drink in the bliss of snuggling between my two gorgeous, sleeping babes. Close my eyes.
Success.
1 comment :
I am absolutely thrilled you put this experience down in words to share! I am laughing, and oh so, remembering! It does get better!
I am glad you recognize the success at the end of all the hard work! Way to go for hanging in there. I was expecting little Sophie to be awake for good. ...Unfortunately, there will be those days too!
Post a Comment