Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Traumatized

Warning: I'm going to go on a big moaning spree.

This has been the worst. move. ever. And we've moved a lot. This was our 11th move in just over 11 years of marriage (not including 2 sort-of moves). And this was hands-down the worst. It's been 11 days since our original moving day (what's with the 11s??), and just today I brought in the last things from our previous house. The first day we moved, our 24' truck didn't fit everything. So 4 days later we rented a 14' truck and hired the same guys to come out and help us again. We still had a lot of stuff left. So we packed our cars and made four trips back and forth to the new house. And STILL we left some stuff in the neighbor's garage that I picked up yesterday.

Keep in mind that we've moved to a MUCH smaller house.

We were constantly moving and frantically cleaning the old place for six days. We literally were carrying out the vacuum when the landlord arrived to get our keys last Wednesday. So it wasn't until that night that we looked around us and it sunk in that we were living in a new place. And we were surrounded by mountains of boxes.

Of course, I've been desperate to unpack them all and get settled and have everything looking beautiful and homey as soon as possible. But there are two small but significant barriers to this occurring. Yes, my two precious babes are the light of my life but also the source of great frustration at this particular time. In fact, somebody contact the government, because I've discovered a new form of torture: to be living in chaos and surrounded day in and day out by boxes begging to be unpacked, and yet to be prevented from doing so because every moment is consumed by feeding/bathing/dressing/entertaining/cuddling/disciplining/averting trantrums/preventing my child from dumping the contents of boxes all over the floor. Even nights are a, er, nightmare because Elliot refuses to go to sleep by himself, which means I still don't get a moment to do anything - even if I did have any energy left by that point. I'm losing pieces of my sanity each day.

These have not been the brightest days of my life.

I know, waa, waa. Many people have far worse things to deal with. Rob had lunch today with a guy who just lost his job and his wife has breast cancer. So I apologize for my morose attitude and promise to cheer up in the coming days.

Pictures to come soon!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wait. Did you move on the 11th too? That is an awfully lot of 11s.

Hang in there! You'll get to the boxes eventually. If it makes you feel any better we still have boxes that haven't been touched and we moved 16 months ago.

Chandelle said...

Wish I could fly out there tomorrow and love on Elliot and Sophie; giving you a chance of freedom! Or, maybe allow you the freedom to love on your children while I unpack!

Don't lose hope.

Skubaliscious said...

Hey, I got your site address from Robyn...this is her step-daughter, Jessica...I think you babysat for me years and years and years ago...

Anyway, we just moved, so I can really relate to the ickiness of moving with little ones!! Good luck with the unpacking!!