So on Saturday a friend came over and we took her kids and Elliot down to the lake to go swimming. Sophie was sound asleep, so we left her home with Rob, who stayed back to work on his dissertation. He was enjoying working at the table with the back door wide open. For some reason, I left the garage door open...where a garbage bin was full of chicken bones and ribs from a bbq.
Yep. Not too bright.
About 5 minutes after we leave, Rob hears cars honking. Sophie wakes up screaming, so Rob grabs her and goes to the front window to see what's going on.
Four cars are at our driveway, honking relentlessly. People are snapping their cameras, and one guy even has a camcorder out. Someone yells at Rob, "There's a bear in your garage!!" A woman shouts, "Look! That man has a baby!!" Rob wonders if he's going to be on the evening news.
The bear doesn't budge despite the horns honking. He keeps grabbing a mouthful and scurrying over to the side of the house to eat. So Rob puts Sophie down, dashes out to the garage, shoves as much garbage inside as he can, and brings the door down just as the bear's coming back for more.
That darned bear stayed outside our house for a good 45 minutes. Our neighbors have photos, which we're awaiting and will post as soon as we get them.
*****
So today, Elliot wants to go outside and play soccer. It's still the first half of July - the summer's not even half over. I'm determined that we're not going to be trapped inside all summer, trembling with fear that a stupid bear might be lurking around. I mean, what are the chances that the bear's going to pass through during the narrow window that we're actually outside?
We go outside, I put Sophie down on a blanket, and Elliot and I are playing soccer, while my eyes are constantly scanning the perimeter. We're not out there 15 minutes, when my heart nearly jumps out of my chest. The bear is walking through our yard. The front door is halfway between us and the bear. I grab Sophie and scream at Elliot to come over to me. He just stands there. I have to scream at him 3 or 4 times before he actually moves his feet, and then I grab his arm and drag him to the door. When I open the door, our cat Winston, who looks like a miniature bear, dashes out and I nearly jump out of my skin.
Needless to say, we spent the rest of the day inside. :(
3 comments :
I know this tale is no laughing matter. I do confess that you tell it in such a way though, that it brings light and laughter to my working afternoon!
Come on, it's only a bear...I've seen five of them out there-at once. JK- Great story! Making memories.
I have a slightly irrational fear of even domesticated large animals, so to actually encounter a dangerous large animal would be beyond panic, I assure you.
Is there anything you can do to get rid of it? I know what we'd do around here, but I'm guessing things are a little stickier on the East coast. =)
Post a Comment