It was close to 90 degrees all weekend. Elliot woke up Saturday morning and said, “Let’s go to the beach! Where’s my swimsuit?”
I was pretty sure it was in storage, so we lugged out our boxes of summer clothes, which are now strewn all through the house. No swimsuit. We dug through bags of clothes in his closet. No swimsuit. I must’ve decided it would be too small and given it away last fall.
However, we did find this snazzy Buzz Lightyear hoody, which Elliot insisted on wearing the rest of the day, despite it being 88 degrees. (Whenever I attempt to take his picture, Elliot thinks he needs to hold up some prop. This time it was a digital camera Rob had snapped up earlier for $1 at a garage sale.) Look, there’s Buzz!
So, no swimsuit. I explained to Elliot that we probably wouldn’t want to swim at the beach anyway, because the water would still be cold. We could just put our feet in. He did not find this a satisfactory outcome.
So I thought, hmm, I have a long, hot day ahead of me with these two kiddos while Rob spends the day at the library. Let’s go shopping!
So off we went to the outlet mall, where everyone else in the tri-state region was spending their Saturday as well. It took 20 minutes to find a parking spot!
But we eventually came out with the goods. Shark trunks for Elliot and a little red suit for Sophie with frills on the bottom. Cute! Plus, 2 pairs of flip-flops for $10.
And race car sunglasses. Bring on the summer!
By the time we got home, Rob had the grill going. Mmmm.
And then, FINALLY, we made it to the beach at 7pm. Elliot did sport his new swimsuit, but, as predicted by his all-knowing mommy-o, he did not get wet past his ankles.
Such a lovely evening by the lake.
We woke up Sunday morning to more sunshine, enjoyed by all living creatures in our home...
... apart from Rob, who’s suffering horribly from allergies, in addition to ear and tooth infections, in addition to the morbid insanity brought on by an unending dissertation. He’s putting on a brave face here for dear Sophie.
1 comment :
Looks like a fantastic weekend!
Post a Comment