Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

decking the halls

After three long years of living in temporary housing, I cannot express just how happy we are to have a home of our own. What a thrill it was to open boxes long sealed and stored, and to discover cherished Christmas decorations as if they’re new all over again.

2010-12-10 0182010-12-10 0192010-12-10 0222010-12-10 023

My mother manages to find for me, year after year, a beautiful angel playing the flute. I have quite an exquisite collection by now.

I am mindful that right now my brother and sister-in-law are dismantling their own home, as they’re moving immediately after Christmas. They’re letting go of so much that they’ve known and loved over the past 12 years – letting go of one home and anticipating an unknown life in a new home.

Yesterday I heard on the news that last month there were fewer than 300,000 foreclosures nationally, good news in light of the fact that it’s been above that number every month for nearly two years. Can you imagine? That’s 7 million displaced households in the last two years. Where are all those people now? Where are they spending Christmas?

Home has come to mean so much to me these past few years. So this Christmas, I’m feeling blessed and grateful, and I sincerely hope that whatever your circumstances - whether you’re perfectly content in this moment or clinging on for dear life until life gets better – that you’ll be filled deep down with love, faith, peace, and hope.

No comments :