Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

he’s a believer

elliot with santa photo

Elliot was walking on air yesterday after he met Santa Claus. Nothing could wipe the smile off his face.

He told me afterwards the long list of presents he asked for. Apparently Santa said, “Yes, I can do that for you!”

What?! So now we’re obliged to get him a remote-controlled spider and a Legos airplane and a batman cave? Sorry, kiddo, the Santa shop is already closed. Here’s hoping he’s excited enough by the presents he does get that he’ll forget about the ones Santa doesn’t deliver.

I’ve been feeling lots of guilt pangs over the whole Santa thing – you know, blatantly lying to our children. The other day we watched the VeggieTales movie about how our idea of Santa developed from the kind and selfless acts of St. Nicholas, and about how giving gifts to each other is a way to express our love for God.

It was a little over their heads. Ah, well, they’ll get it one day.

p.s. Sophie is missing from the photo because as soon as she saw Santa she dissolved into tears and shouted “NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!“ at every attempt I made to put her on his lap. I was hoping at least for a funny terrified-of-Santa photo that we could tease her about in years to come. But she wouldn’t get within 6 feet of him. ha!

1 comment :

Chandelle said...

Neither would Dellen, and the Santa he saw was his papa!

I've been hearing about the Bat Cave for months now. Any plans for that one request?