What do you think of the post-Christmas season? I’m mixed. The week after Christmas is great because all the rushing before Christmas is over and everyone can just relax and play with their new toys and watch movies and eat and not do any cleaning. And this year was particularly fun because we had a huge snowstorm at the beginning of the week and couldn’t even leave the house if we wanted to. We went sledding and tried to build a snowman and made snow angels and drank lots of hot chocolate.
But then January 1st hit, and reality came crashing in. Mountains of laundry to wash. Christmas decorations to pack up. Chaos to organize. A long cold winter stretched out in front of us with no twinkling lights and eggnog to ease the pain. Ugh, it’s such a downer.
BUT, on the other hand, it is nice to get back to normality. It’s a relief to stop celebrating after so much indulgence, to get back to a sense of routine and calm.
Plus, I love fresh starts and new plans and blank slates. And no time is better than January 1st for those things. I adore making lists and plans and deluding myself into thinking all sorts of things are possible. So making New Year’s Resolutions is pure bliss to me.
This year happens to be going very well so far. I feel optimistic that my plans are entirely doable. Okay, honestly, I have already failed at one of them. BUT! I am currently on Day 4 of a 5-day detox that involves eating primarily fruits and vegetables and also a revolting breakfast drink involving an unthinkable amount of garlic. Our house stinks. I’m afraid to go out in public because I am emanating garlic. Rob can smell my garlic breath across the house, which is as close as he will willingly get to me until this thing is over. Only 1.5 days to go! I’m sure it will all be worth it!
No comments :
Post a Comment