My friends, we have reached that time. You know what I’m talking about. January is over, and with it those lofty and noble New Year’s Resolutions. I, like many people, enthusiastically embraced January 1st as a moment to commit to high ideals concerning my personal health and fitness. And now, I sadly realize that my estimation of my personal strength and determination was perhaps somewhat overblown.
Aack! About a week ago, I just couldn’t take it anymore. As in, I felt so hungry and deprived that I wanted to eat an entire bakery!
So, how to get back on a good footing? I find that when I’m feeling deprived and wanting comfort food, I need to eat lots of food - to not be hungry anymore, but to fill up with a feast of healthy food. To feel an abundance.
So this is what I’ve been eating this week.
One thing I’m retaining from my January diet is this morning power juice. I juice a huge bowl full of kale, spinach, cucumber, a beet, a slice of ginger, and an apple thrown in to make it somewhat bearable.
When I first started drinking this, I about gagged. But now I’ve gotten used to it, and I even get a slight thrill out of seeing the bright green and purple colors signifying all those power nutrients.
Next up is a bowl of trusty Grape Nuts.
Morning snack. I made a batch of these granola bars.
For lunch, hummus with fava beans and pita bread. A recipe from my new Plenty cookbook.
Afternoon snack: fruit parfaits. Elliot loves the mangoes.
And Sophie just eats the chocolate chips, sometimes with a little yogurt if I can persuade her.
True story: The other night I heard Sophie talking in her sleep. “I want chocolate,” she said. And then she giggled. I am not making that up.
She does love pistachios, though. She’s crazy about pistachios. Those are okay for a 3-year-old, right? (she took the picture, btw)
For dinner, another recipe from Plenty: semolina, cilantro, and tomato soup.
And haddock.
For the kiddos:
There you have it. Way more information than you ever wanted to know about what I eat!
Bon appetit!
1 comment :
Oh my Lori! No wonder you want to eat a bakery..geez!
Yes, if you ask me pistachios are fine..and what a little photographer you have there. I love seeing things through their perspective, giving the kids a camera is such a great idea.
Post a Comment