As I said, I‘m still planning to catch up on a summer’s worth of blog posts. It’s gotten to the point where I almost resist happy experiences because I think, But when will I have time to blog about this?? Yes, I have mad blogger’s disease!
For today I’m sticking to the present and just going with this week’s happenings. You could say that the band Madness has provided the soundtrack to our week (apart from the all-consuming CRD album, of course!). It all started last Sunday, when the kids and I were waiting in the car for Rob before church. I was fuming because we were running late, as usual (we are ALWAYS late). And even though it was my fault as much as anyone’s that we were late, Rob was the last one ready on this particular occasion, which made him a convenient target for my frustration. So he eventually came strolling out, buckled up, and pushed a disc into the CD player. Out blasts Madness with: “My girl’s mad at me….”
Ha ha ha. Anger dissolved. ;)
The kids of course loved the 1980s Britpop and have demanded that we play “Driving in my car” over and over for the duration of every car ride we have taken all week, of which there have been many.
I have now had to hide the CD from them to avoid completely losing my mind!
This has been the first full week of school, and Sophie and I have been trying to get used to our days of just the two of us, without Elliot. We have missed him. I feel guilty doing fun things without him. I catch myself concealing evidence of our excursions. But this is precious time Sophie and I have with just the two of us, and we have to fill up our days somehow. And we’ve had absolutely perfect weather for being outside. Several days this week we’ve gone bike riding. This is most likely the last patch of time Sophie will be able to squeeze into the seat on my bike, so I want to get in as many rides as we can before having to let go of yet another piece of her evaporating babyhood. *sniff sniff*
After our ride on Wednesday, Sophie wanted to go for a swim in the lake. I tried to convince her that we could take off our shoes and wade in, but before I could stop her she had completely stripped off and was standing on the beach stark naked! Fortunately, it was fairly deserted, but still! I finally got her to put her pants back on at least, but it wasn’t too long before she was back down to just her underwear. I have some video of it that is just adorable, but probably best not to put that on the internet. While we were on the beach, a middle-aged guy wandered over to a bench a ways away, took out his banjo, and played us a little concert. It was a magical afternoon.
2 comments :
First, I laughed out loud. Then, I did it again. Next, I felt such wonderful peace and joy. Finally, I had a sweet sweet tear for the moments shared within this post.
There is no job that could pay enough to take the place of the precious moments we share as mothers in the midst of the madness. To wriggle our toes is such pleasure.
Precious video! So glad you shared it.
Post a Comment