Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

punting to Grantchester


Punting down the River Cam to the village of Grantchester is a quintessential Cambridge experience – and we couldn’t have had a more beautiful day to do it.

DSC_0081

When punting in Cambridge, you can either go along the backs of the university’s colleges, or you can head out of town and into the countryside. I love going this way because it’s so tranquil and peaceful and deeply relaxing.

DSC_0148

Apart from a few merry students here and there, we had the river to ourselves. It was just us and the local wildlife.

DSC_0096

One of the quirky things I love about Cambridge are the herds of cows grazing on random patches of green throughout town. These guys were trotting along at a fair pace.

DSC_0087

Those are white and black sheep snoozing around the trees.

DSC_0178

I’m dying for one of those “sit up and beg” bicycles. Teal blue, leather seat, basket in front, please.

DSC_0133

There were a few lunatics taking a swim.

DSC_0163

And there were many, many friendly ducks hoping for a snack.

DSC_0102

The kids gleefully obliged.

DSC_0110

 

DSC_0120

DSC_0123

DSC_0134

After a little more than an hour, we reached our destination – Grantchester Meadow!

DSC_0126

This looks like a nice spot for our picnic.

DSC_0145

We had some company.

DSC_0149

Then for the way back. Elliot got a punting lesson.

DSC_0157

DSC_0075DSC_0158

Halfway through, Rob had a massive hayfever attack. Poor guy. His eyes and nose were streaming and he couldn’t see a thing. So I took the helm. I have attempted to punt a couple times before, but I always ended up just zigzagging from bank to bank until Rob eventually rescued me from my humiliation. But with him immobilized, I rose to the occasion today and actually got the hang of it. I felt such a sense of accomplishment after navigating around twists and turns and taking us most of the way back without even running into any other boats! (I may have gotten the pole stuck in the mud once and we had to paddle our way back to retrieve it, but that’s beside the point.)

DSC_0159

Our expressions in that photo are “Oh no, not another duck!” Honestly, we meant the ducks no ill will. Who couldn’t love those adorable little featherballs?

DSC_0168

I’m so happy we were able to fit this in before we go. Fabulous! (Apart from Rob’s hayfever. He’s still sneezing, bless him.)

1 comment :

Chandelle said...

You had me at tranquil, peaceful, deeply relaxing. And kudos on the punting.